Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mango Guacamole



This colorful dish is great for a Duck game or tail-gate party. I got it from the May 2005 issue of Everyday Food magazine.

Makes 3 cups

Prep time: 20 minutes

Total time: 20 minutes

2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

*1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch pieces

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)

1 serrano chile, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)

coarse salt

In a medium bowl combine avocados, mango, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and serrano chile; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold gently, leaving texture chunky.

*Preparing mango:

1. Hold mango with a paper towel (to avoid slippage). Using a vegetable peeler, remove skin and discard.

2. Whith a knife, slice off wide, flat part of fruit on both sides of pit. Trim flesh from pit (discard pit).

3. Place parts cut side down; slice in half horizontally. Cut crosswise into thin strips; cut strips lengthwise into pieces.

I doubled this recipe and didn't put the chile in it and it still had a lot of bite. I was suprised the next day (we had left overs) to find the avocado hadn't turned that yucky brown color. Probably from all the lime juice in it? This dip goes perfect with Juanita's Tortilla Chips. Because these chips are so salty, I'd use a little less salt in the dip. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

deedles said...

AWE. I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD THAT ON MY TABLE FOR CINCO DE MAYO. MAX loves GUAC. SO I WILL BE MAKING THIS FOR SURE..

LeaAnne said...

That looks GOOD!!!!!! I like Guac too! Make a little extra for me! :)