Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bad Day Soup


I can't take credit for this recipe. I can't take credit for any recipe I post on here. If I could I would suggest you be very scared since I can ruin even the easiest, most delicious of meals. This came from Jeff's parent's and I'm not quite sure where they got it, but let me just say MY GOODNESS! I have had the worst day ever and this soup was just the thing I needed. Thanks Mike and Kathi!!! It's called Chicken Tortilla Soup, but after today I claim the right to rename it to "Bad Day Soup".


Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes


Ingredients:


1/4 bunch cilantro, well washed (leaves only)

2-3 garlic cloves

1/2 small onion

4 oz can of green chilies

6 cups of chicken broth

14.5 oz can of tomatoes

1 tsp. ground cumin

1tsp. salt

2 Tbsp cornstarch (dissolved in a small amount of water)

Corn tortillas (about 10) cut into thin slices

vegetable oil (or I used olive oil, it's lighter)

1-2 cups cooked chicken (2 oz per serving

Monterey Jack cheese

1-2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced

sour cream

salsa


(When it comes to food I'm no minimalist, I include all the toppings on my plate, so I didn't list anything as optional because I believe it shouldn't be. But if you can't even read the ingredient with out your stomach flipping by all means don't include it. But you're missing out.)


Preparation:


Puree cilantro, garlic, onion, chilies and tomatoes in a blender or food processor.

Heat stock and add pureed mixture along with cumin and salt.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about an hour.

Stir dissolved cornstarch into stock. (Don't add if you like thinner soup, add more- which I did, if you like more)

Fry cut tortilla strips in oil in batches until crisp (I added a little salt as I fried them) drain well.

Add chicken to stock (FYI don't pull a Sara and use canned chicken and regret it later and end up cooking up some chicken the last minute any way. It tastes so much better.)

Garnish or top with shredded cheese (Jeff says don't skimp on the cheese), tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream and salsa and whatever else you prefer. I suggest going with a fresca type salsa.


Like Kathi said, the avocado and sour cream taste so creamy and cool with the warm soup then you have the creaminess of the cheese and the crunchiness of the tortilla strips and chunks of chicken and salsa. This soup is a melody of textures, temperatures and tastes - my bad day totally melted away in this soup along with the cheese.

2 comments:

LeaAnne said...

YUMMMMY
Yahooooo I love this one and will try it out soon! :)

LeaAnne said...

ok..I made it~ YUMMO IS RIGHT!

I added black beans and rice and corn and we all loved it. lol Katie asked me to save some so she could have it for breakfast..lol :)
Really it is a great one!