Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pancakes, a work in progress

Lately I've been on a rampage to find the perfect pancake recipe for our family. It's still a work in progress but I've come up with a couple that are a big hit. I would like to invite all our authors of this blog (ooh so formal sounding) to also share their favorite pancake recipes. Because pancakes really are food for the Gods (is it food FOR the Gods or FROM the Gods? Oh well.)

Swedish Pancakes-

First recipe is from one of my best friends from Middle School's mom. She would make these every time I'd spend the night. (Is it lame that my recipes are never my own? I'm just not to that level of chef where I can experiment and make up my own recipes unless they're incredibly easy like peanut butter and banana and chocolate syrup sandwiches- oh wait, that's Jeff's. *sigh*)

It starts the night before.
Mix 4 cups oats (whole oats or quick oats) with 4 cups buttermilk (and don't skimp on the milk and buy light buttermilk, these are PANCAKES people.) Let it sit over night so the oats soak up the juices from the buttermilk. (leave in the fridge covered.)

Next morning mix
1 cup flour (whole wheat use a little less flour)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
add to oat/buttermilk mixture

lightly beat 4 eggs and mix with 1/2 cup oil.
Add to pancake mix.

And cook on a hot griddle. Add more oil if too thick but mixture should be thicker than you think because it will thin out a little on the griddle.

These taste best with apple sauce I think or any other fruit topping but of course maple syrup (real maple syrup since we are making perfect pancakes here) is always good.

Next up is just plain ol' pancake mix I got off the Internet but made a few changes to it so I guess...THIS ONE IS MINE! I take full credit for it's yumminess.

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

mix dry ingredients then wet and combine. Add a little more flour if too thin (I always do but never measure it so I don't know how much more to add, maybe a tablespoon).
Cook on hot griddle.
I think these taste a little like vanilla wafers. They are a work in progress though, maybe I will try buttermilk instead of regular milk next time.

So what pancake recipes are famous in your house?

1 comment:

LeaAnne said...

lol I have been waiting for Rune to post his recipe. (I use a BOX.. shhh) As soon as he writes it for me I will post it!! :)